I read an article in a magazine this morning about Hemingway and the inspiration he drew from Cuba and the Cilenten coast in Italy. I wondered if any place has touched me like that. There are actually several, Utah being one of the biggest. But my mind always goes back to Cozumel, Mexico. I spent a day there on my honeymoon and it was beautiful, tropical and so friendly. I would never have guessed I was in Mexico (I have had a few less-than-fabulous experiences there). There was a light rain and the air felt steamy in a pleasant way as we motored around the island on a moped (Chris was an excellent driver!) Everywhere I looked there was vegetation, but not like you see in famous pics of the Pacific or elsewhere in the Caribbean. It was dense field of waist-high bushes stretching across the island. The trees I did see were draping and full of leaves, so lush. It is one of the few places where I have thought I would actually buy a vacation home. So here is hoping I can get back there someday!
Here is my sweetheart sitting next to a small cove where Christian missionaries performed baptisms in the old days. There were only a few beaches where you could swim because the land drops off so sharply at the coast. This was one of the few calm spots.
If you look closely, you will see an ancient Mayan ruin. This must be similar to what Nephi described as "bountiful".
6 comments:
How far away is this place, lets say from Bisbee, Az?
Wow, that was gorgeous!
Can we be imaginary runners together?
Ha ha Megan, that sounds perfect! While we are at it, let's also be imaginary millionaires. Heather, it could be close, since we are close to Mexico, but it is east of the Yucatan peninsula around Jamaica, etc. But I enjoyed Cozumel much more than Jamaica. When we got off the boat in Jamaica they told us to only get into taxis with a certain sticker because cannibals pose as cab drivers and abduct tourists and eat them! That was kind of a turn off, you know? Now that I think of it, I think the picture of the place where the baptisms were performed was on Grand Cayman, not Cozumel. I am not sure, but still I recommend Cozumel most.
Hahaha! :) I have found you! lol! Hey girlie, I am so glad that you have joined the bloggin bandwagon. We need to get together to get your page lookin all good!
Wow, Katie -- These picture's are unbelievably beautiful! I want to go. THe clouds and the color and texture of the water is so amazing...perfect for all 5 senses. I'm so glad you got to experience it.
Post a Comment