Yikes, I can't believe September is nearly through with. I have had so much going on. My Primary had their Primary Program on Sunday. As primary chorister, I have been going nuts preparing. But they did so well! I didn't use a single visual aid, not even a "sing loud" sign. They sang every word beautifully. I am so proud.
The biggest thing I am dealing with is Satchel! He is fifteen months old and has had chronic ear infections since birth. He is also a big time comfort nurser. So lately he has pretty much cried and whined all day and night to nurse. I had planned to wait till he got tubes in his ears before I tried to wean him. But we saw the ENT last week and they couldn't schedule him till late October. I nearly cried right there in the office. Didn't they know I was tired of this crying kid nursing for hours on end? Anyway, Monday night I had finally had it. He was crying in his crib forever and after probably an hour and a half of back-patting, singing, and ignoring, I said "I am never nursing you again!". And for the first time, I actually meant it. He did eventually fall asleep and when he woke up again in the early morning I didn't nurse him! He was up all night crying and throwing himself all over me, but I held out. I know that Heavenly Father was helping me because usually I am on autopilot at night and get grumpy when my kids keep me up (I know, a big flaw). Anyway, I was able to just calmly try to comfort him and never lost my cool. The next night was the same, but last night he slept in his crib till 6 a.m. before he started his fit. It was wonderful! He has never stayed in his bed that long. So things are getting better. Yesterday the ENT called to say we could get in for Satchel's surgery next Friday, which is way earlier than we had hoped for. The only struggle has been that I was SUPER engorged. It is just starting to subside today. Thankfully. This experience reminded me of when we lived on the farm in Duncan and at the end of the day the cows would start toward the milking shed with their bags taut with milk and swinging back and forth. I bet they were so uncomfortable, poor cows! So re-reading that I realize it is kind of a cringe-worthy comparison, but I am sure any nursing mother knows what I am talking about. Anyway, I am looking forward to having a cheerful boy soon. I remember the difference in Eve after she got the tubes in her ears. I am excited for both Satchel and myself to be done with these ear infections. Just one more week!
4 comments:
Poor Satchel. I said those same words to Liam, sad boy; it was the night before his birthday too. Some mother I am. He had turned into quite the acrobat while nursing thought and I had had enough. Hopefully his ears will be better after he gets his tubes
I'm so glad that Satchel slept until 6am. I hope the tubes solve all the problems he has been having. YOu are so tough and I'm proud of you. Good job sticking to your guns.
Wow, I couldn't even IMAGINE nursing for that long! I weaned both my kids by 6 months and they are completely off a bottle by a year. Poor little guy, ear infections are the worst!
I love this picture! He is such a crack-up! I'm glad they are getting him earlier for surgery -- great news!!! I guess that means we won't be working out on Friday. I have a funeral on Wednesday. Lets chat.
Post a Comment